Monday, October 29, 2007

Yes, Mom was surprised!

Wow....four kids, ten grandkids, two great grandkids, scores of church friends and neighbors! It was strange flying into Lexington a day early (my home town) and yet be "homeless". I wandered through Mom's neighborhood, but, of course, couldn't stop in yet. So, I went to the mall, had dinner with my best friend from 7th grade on, saw Amy Grant in concert at Centre College in Danville... it was a super day! At the mall everybody is called "honey", the clerks actually sincerely waited on me (and spoke an English I could understand!)...it all made me wonder if I should return to my roots. The "I'm-so-left-brained-I-might-tip-over-so-I-have-to-make-sure-I'm-wrapped-way-too-tight" syndrome of northern Virginia is completely absent in central Kentucky. Then I was sitting there, analyzing the spiritual condition of family members...or at least what shows as far as their church affiliation. (In case you're wondering, I've always done this sort of analysis...it has nothing to do with the fact that I work at a church now.) Out of us four children raised as elders' kids, the one least likely now regularly attends a Church of Christ, one who was one of the most compliant growing up hasn't attended anywhere in years, and the other two do attend...but at such "different flavors" neither could stand to go to the other's congregation. Then, looking on to the next generation (grandkids): three attend Church of Christ (two are not adult yet), three attend another denomination, and eight do not regularly attend anywhere. I'm positive this will continue to fluctuate constantly as people continue on their spiritual journey, but it does give one pause to think.

Also, when looking at the statistics on the two Churches of Christ in Lexington, surprisingly the most traditional one is now slightly gaining on the more progressive one. It seems the progressive one is being ostracized by those seeking a more traditional Church of Christ home, yet it isn't "progressive" enough, (being located near the University of Kentucky) to be attractive to seekers, to whom the mandate of "accapella only" seems too different.

Then my best friend from my childhood and I got into a huge discussion of whether some are "called" or not, where are the specific scriptures for free will, etc. etc. I love those kinds of discussions....we've been doing this since we were twelve! (no wonder the others in the youth group thought we were weird! ha!) Anyway, it was just a great weekend! (But, yes, I'm happy to be back!)

4 comments:

Jerri said...

IwillbeGrandma9/25

Jerri said...

Hey, Darla, I know what you mean about "returning to your roots". When I was at the VA hospitals both in Amarillo, TX, my old stompin' ground, and in Oklahoma City, my dad's final earthly destination, I noticed the way everyone talked to me everywhere I went. I didn't feel so weird there. Because I don't care how uptight No. Va people can be, I still talk to them everywhere I go.
I smile at them when they gesture at me in traffic, and I let them go ahead of me when they are in such a big hurry all of the time.
But, one thing that I discovered is that, as much as I feel sort of at home in Texas and Oklahoma, there is a remoteness to all of the friendliness there, too. And, here in VA., there is a certain comraderie that exists with all of the uptight busy-ness. Here, if someone actually has time to talk to you, it means more. In Texas, you kind of have to talk to people or they think something's wrong with you. When we were in the ICU waiting room, we had lots of meaningful conversations with people there who were also mostly losing their loved ones. But there were also the "good ol' boys" who came in for the free donuts and coffee who were just passing through and thought we needed to hear their political--weather--state of the donuts--or whatever, ramblings. Sometimes we just wanted some quietness. In the midst of all of the noise of NO VA, there are times, even in a public place, where you can find quiet anonymity. And whenever I get tired of that, I guess I become the annoying voice in the room! :) Glad you're home!

Val said...

I just found your blog!!! YEAH I'm so glad you finally decided to start one. I will be a regular reader, I look forward to your words of wisdom ;-)

Jerri said...

Uh, Darla, that first comment wasn't really a comment. And it's not true, because Conner was born 9/11. I'll explain when I see you...could you delete that comment so people don't think I've really lost my mind! :)