Tuesday, November 20, 2007

I am SO thankful...

I think I was supposed to go around today and videotape the staff stating what they're thankful for, and then have it shown in the Kid's Worship. It looks like it's not going to happen. It was a good idea, though.

I'll tell you what I'm thankful for. I'm thankful for this church. With all its many members periodically tugging this way or that, I'm thankful to have many members! Little cloisters of folks can be sweet and simplistic, but it can also be suffocating. I'm thankful for the discussions and the conversations. I've been in congregations before where the conversation wasn't even allowed! (kinda like communist China) I'm thankful for my job. Whether short or long lived, it feels good to be here. No, more than good. It feels critical. That's the word. For some reason, which may long remain unknown, I feel it is necessary I sit here in this cute little messy office right now. I'm turning down auditions and I don't even know why anymore. Oops, I digress.

OK, it's true, I'm thankful to be in northern Virginia. Even with the traffic. After nine years of commuting 56 miles one way on Sundays, it's still amazing to be to be able to "run over to church". I remember at times being in tears, stuck on the Woodrow Wilson Bridge, trying to get four teenagers over here by 6:00 for a weekend retreat. It was always this great desperate spiritual sojourn trying to reach the mecca known as FXCC.

Don't ever take this place for granted. I love FXCC. And I am very thankful for it.

1 comment:

Jerri said...

Hey, Darla,
I, for one, am thankful that you find it necessary to sit in your messy little office and share your enormous talent with our church! I am also thankful for Fairfax, because it is made up of so many people who are walking with Christ.
I have learned so much by watching the lives of people who love God and do the best they can to serve Him each day. Sometimes we are up, sometimes we are down, but we are with Him every day, covered by His grace and loved. It is unfathomable that we are loved individually and corporately by the Creator of the universe. That alone is enough for us to be able to live out our days in total awe and gratitude.