Thursday, October 23, 2008

more from ZOE

One of the most precious aspects of the human experience, I feel, is listening to each others' stories. Were you to compare my sister's memories to mine, you might question that we were even raised in the same house...but we were. In like manner, I welcome all comments from all backgrounds and hope, as the church, we may do more to validate each others' voices and not discount those who don't fit safely into any preconceived molds. So, thank you, out there, for your reading and your responses.

{Although, unfortunately, I don't feel it best to publish those from "anonymous", not because I don't find them valid or interesting, but because it pretty much closes the door to any more discussion or availability.} (by the way, to my last anonymous comment....please expound a bit more so I can understand more clearly your intent, if you don't mind...Thanks!).

Anyway, it is my understanding that Tim Schwamb is also blogging and covering the ZOE conference...so I can't wait to read and hear his impressions. The keynote speaker, Scott McNight, spent quite a bit of time on explaining why twenty million 20 & 30 year old "somethings" like Jesus but not the church, and ten common principles of their philosophy. If you're interested in that, give me a call & I'll gladly share. He also had an interesting talk on "why read the Bible". Is it to supplement theological arguments? Is it for the feel good verses at the top of our calendars? Is it to dutifully get through a chapter a day? He came to the conclusion that it is to listen to God.

Other nuggets I jotted down: "the cure for spiritual weariness is spiritual intimacy"

Truth goes through three stages: 1) it is ridiculed 2) it is violently opposed
3) it is accepted as self evident

"When a person's comfort level in worship is worshipped more than God, than true worship is threatened".

and finally, "Real freedom is doing what God has called you to do."

So, how free are you feeling these days? :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Darla - I see a trend here....between your comments taken away from the Zoe conference on "comfort levels" and "real freedom" to the wonderful sermon yesterday by Rick Atchley on being "boat potatoes"....As I look back over the years, growing up in the church...I can see that we are at the edge of a new awakening. Thank the Lord that "tradition" is not "gospel"....and that the current young generation is speaking up and out about this!

My "take away" from yesterday's sermon was that if I am not using my God-given talents for the Lord (or if I'm being prevented from doing so)...then it is a sin.

Jesus said it all in the parable of the talents.....

Unknown said...

Darla - I see a trend here....between your comments taken away from the Zoe conference on "comfort levels" and "real freedom" to the wonderful sermon yesterday by Rick Atchley on being "boat potatoes"....As I look back over the years, growing up in the church...I can see that we are at the edge of a new awakening. Thank the Lord that "tradition" is not "gospel"....and that the current young generation is speaking up and out about this!

My "take away" from yesterday's sermon was that if I am not using my God-given talents for the Lord (or if I'm being prevented from doing so)...then it is a sin.

Jesus said it all in the parable of the talents.....

Jerri said...

I agree with Karin! We must not idolize our traditions, and we must not alter the gospel in any way! When we idolize traditions made by man...even beloved traditions...then we are adding to the gospel. Our focus has to be on Jesus and not our personal preferences, whatever they may be.