Friday, July 10, 2009

Diaries of Darfur

I'm about to finish the Diaries of Darfur, and will now look for the documentary. The book is actually about their experiences of trying to make the film. I hear that the number of 26,000 children dying a day from hunger is now up to 29,000. And I still haven't gotten around to sponsoring a kid yet. The feeling of being overwhelmed is paralyzing. Plus the feeling of having failed in the past. At one time,we were sponsoring six. Please don't be impressed....even that is not much of a monetary sacrifice. Unfortunately, though, I never took the time to write back at all, much less encouraging notes. What kind of a sponsor is that?

Speaking of children, at one point I had filled out the paperwork for us to adopt kid #6....( a little girl from China), but then I thought maybe I should re-think it. I asked a friend from South Korea who was aghast that I would even question. "If you have a roof and food in the refridgerator, why would you even hesitate?" She asked. She went on to tell me of the heartbreaking story of when they were so poor in her childhood that they took her baby sister to the orphanage. Within a couple of weeks they couldn't bear it, so they went back (she was still there)...but that didn't make raising her on no resources any easier. Well, the roof and the food I can manage. It's that nurturing thing and resources such as time that I seem to run out of. How will God judge? Yes, I know His grace will cover even rich Americans. But, still.

1 comment:

Val said...

WOW!! I had no idea, I think it's awesome that you are thinking of adopting again. Good luck to you, Dan and the kids!