Monday, August 3, 2009

go to the Holy Land

It's so great to have a real live image in my head next time I read "Capernaum", or "Sea of Galilee", or Jordan River, or "Ephesus" in the Bible. But my favorite things were walking the Via Dolorosa and the wailing wall. Did you know that the "Wailing Wall" (or Western Wall) is the last remaining wall of the great temple of Solomon? On the site is a huge Moslem Mosque now (no wonder the Jews pick there to wail). My eyes teared up too just standing in the crowd of the many women who were crying, rocking, and beating their chests. Then I looked over the fence and saw Dan being wrapped and cloaked (he told some Rabbi his mom had a little Jewish blood in her) so they adopted him quick. Apparently we can now move to Israel at any time, no questions asked. I'm not saying Israel doesn't have its economic problems~ and right now there is a very concerning drought going on (the Sea of Galilee is 18 feet below what it should be)~~but to see what they have accomplished in 60 years with an area & population similiar to the state of Maryland is simply amazing. I also loved visiting the island of Patmos where John wrote Revelation. Does anyone know somewhere in the Bible where Jesus told him that he would not die like the other disciples (who were martryed)? John must have lived to be 100 !
Ooops, gotta run....I'll tell more later.

No comments: