Monday, August 31, 2009

my dream

I was about to join an anger management group because I've been...well, basically in a state of anger lately. Maybe it's due to midlife crisis or some other malady; but I've noticed that both illogic and injustice can set me off pretty quick (and examples of both have been rather plentiful lately). But I still had enough sane thoughts to figure out that prolonged anger is neither healthy or helpful. So something had to be done. That was Saturday night.

Right before the alarm went off Sunday morning I had the most remarkable dream. I realize the symbolism of what I'm about to relate is super obvious....but it wasn't in my dream state. It was a rural setting and I, along with several others, had just come out some kind of place of business (post office?) and we were walking along a grassy area w/ trees. I was slightly unsure of the direction to go home but wasn't alarmed yet since my sense of direction is both nonexistent and dislexic, so I'm used to the feeling of being rather lost all the time. Anyway, over in some brush near the trees a group of animals (disturbed from us exiting the building) rose to their feet. The most obvious was a large male lion. I was so surprised to see him out of a cage. A man's voice behind me quickly said, "Everyone be still, no eye contact. No one run." So we all stood there, fighting our natural inclination to take off.

Next scene. Suddenly a lamb rose up and put his two front hoofs up on my shoulders and stayed there. I leaned in a bit to balance my weight with his, and could feel his breath and was aware of his heartbeat. This particular lamb was long and lean, and had straight white fur, by the way. Anyway, I remember thinking, "I believe a lion can go right through a lamb. I wonder if this lamb realizes that." But for all the lamb's alertness and steadfastness, I didn't sense panic. And he wasn't about to leave me. If the lion was going to get me, he was definitely going to have to go through the lamb first.

Then the alarm rang. So I still have some unanswered questions. I'm not sure why or how the lion was there, or why he wanted to kill. I only know one thing: the lamb loved me....and the lion did not.

And I'm not angry anymore.

No comments: