Monday, January 28, 2008

A year ago...

Well, if you want to know the truth...Murray actually (I think) tried to set me up with a blog over a year ago. Unfortunately, I'm not the most adept person at navigating the computer world and I could never find my blog again. And it was just too embarressing to ask for help. What was I supposed to do...go to the information desk and ask, "excuse me, is there a blog in the lost and found?" Anyway, I did stumble upon it recently and thought I'd share what was happening in my life a year ago.

lock-in (or lock out?)
The loud music is blaring. Kids are screaming. I'm hiding in my office. I can only hope that Caleb's basically alive and healthy out there in the parking lot, not doubt wearing his flip-flops and shorts in this frigid weather. Thank God all this is happening at a church; else I'd be worried. Trust and community and friends and having my own hole in the wall are all wonderful things. Truly gifts from God.


I remember now, it was a teen lock in. Someone broke their hand hitting a block of ice outside. Hopefully that hand is healed by now. It's amazing how much can change in a year. A staff member said today, "the only constant we can count on is change". How true. Well, that and the fact that the Father is still in control. From the moment I walked into this church almost 12 years ago, I could sense that it was on the brink of true greatness... just waiting for permission to be all that God intended. Soon there will be new elders and eventually new staff. The potential is absolutely mind boggling. I'm looking forward to February because it is going to be a month of prayer. Prayer, in my growing up years, meant nothing to me other than some kindly old church member shuffling forward to mumble some tried and true verbage. I wasn't sure what the point was. But real prayer has been proven to have real power...real power. As a body, as a family, as a group of believers, do we actually believe that? Or is it just one more nice little phrase we use as a good luck charm--- just in case? To tell you the truth, I'm pretty sure we can do nothing without it. The church moves forward on its knees.

2 comments:

Murray Sanderson said...

Great post Darla! I'll be praying for FXCC in February...there are exciting times ahead for you guys, no doubt. What a blessing to have walked along the road with all of you for a period of time.

Murray

Jerri said...

Hey, Darla,
I'm excited about the month of prayer too! I'm excited to be getting to share prayer requests with the prayer team. Let me know anything else we can do this month. I have been praying today about the requests I was given Sunday. All three of the cards were requesting prayers for unity...and I requested the same thing--along with love for God and each other-- on my request card. I wonder how many people's prayers are along those lines....