Wednesday, January 2, 2008

reflections

I heard there was 580+ there on Christmas Eve. Is that true? If so, then that's a new record. Many thanks to Chad Davis for directing "The Candy Cane" story, and to those who participated in it---especially the main characters: Steve Kerby, Janay and Jordyn Bingham. They were simply perfect.

Anyway, once Christmas was over (which was very nice in our home, by the way), I was wisked away to see my mom whom has less than two weeks to live, according to doctors' estimates. Her decline the last eight weeks (since her 80th birthday party) has been astromical. Recent testing shows that her aortic valve is failing, so she is incredibly weak and frail. She's not scared of dying, but is petrified of the thought of dying in a hospital...so her wish of being home is being granted by her children and home health care nurses. Suddenly, the words of Psalms 23 and Eccl 3, and reading those out loud to her take on a whole new meaning. I will miss most being able to call her up for the re-telling of the story behind my great grandfather's arrival from Sweden, or the recipe again for her world famous barbeque. If only there could be satellite cell phone calls to heaven once a month, this wouldn't be so bad.

3 comments:

Elaine said...

Darla, I just learned about your mom's rapid decline. Please let me know if there's anything you or your family need right now. I'm praying for you all in the meanwhile.

Jerri said...

Hey, Darla,
My heart is sad with you at the imminent passing of your mother. I can tell you that anticipating the death of a parent is not the same as experiencing it. You will treasure the memory of the time you were able to spend with her. I hope you will get to go back. I think losing my dad will have been different that you losing your mom, though. Mothers and daughters are connected no matter what....and it sounds like your connection with your mother was a good one. I'll keep you in my heart and prayers.

Murray Sanderson said...

My thoughts & prayers are with you, Darla! What a very hard thing to watch your mom in this condition. God can and will help you deal with it, moment by moment. Also, picture people like me holding you up in prayer and encouraging you & your family. You are loved!
Murray